Lollipop


 I noticed that I still hadn't switched on the music, despite my earphones being plugged in for two

hours. I then found myself in the female restroom, trying to make some sense, any sense of the

person staring at me from the mirror. My face hurt from salty cheeks and a runny nose and broken

answers. I was genuinely contemplating the possible outcomes of my current state of mind- which

ranged from : Faint in a public restroom and miss your flight vs. Do the same in the next airport vs.

Go stand in front of security and hope to dear God they somehow drag your butt into the flight vs.

Literally just die right there- As I stood there, calmly thinking up excuses to tell my parents for

'missing' the flight, I felt a tug on my shirt. I turned around to find this absolutely tiny angel of a girl

flashing a toothless smile at me, with half her face covered in chocolatey goo and the cutest pair of

shoes I'd ever seen. A second later, her mother barged out from the toilet behind me, screaming

"Ayesha? Ayesha! Please stop bothering that girl" she looked like she was about to say "she already

looks like death" but in all fairness, I wouldn't want my child around an absolute mess of a twenty

two year old hopeless woman either. The woman then lifted Ayesha on to her hips and stuck a

caramel lollipop into her mouth, telling me that she loves them. I nodded, and proceeded to use my

new found ashamedness (before it died) to look presentable, and we walked out into the waiting

lounge together. And then, Ayesha demanded to be put down, much to her mother's disapproval, and

she paddled her way to my knees on the next seat, much to my approval. I lifted her, she was so

fragile and warm, and all my instincts exploded, as I held her face against mine. She then put her

little palms on my nose and looked straight into my eyes, and I looked back to see a light there, a ray

of pure, good, gentle light, tinted the same shade of caramel as her lollipop, and so, here is how a tiny

little girl who I'll never see again managed to tell me things without a single word, and made me

never doubt the workings of the Universe around me, ever again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musings

10 minutes

Sparkle