The Commute


The entire month of June 2017 required me to travel all the way to GN Chetty road, T. Nagar, from Tambaram, for my internship, the details of which I’ll tell you later. This process consisted of a long journey that I’d like to split into three phases: Train, bus and walk till Sun Plaza. On the first day, my father being the extremely overprotective father he is, dropped me in his car. The second day being a Saturday, the train journey seemed like a cakewalk. I also took an auto directly from Kodambakkam station to my office, eliminating the other two phases and wasting a hundred and twenty rupees in the process.

Before I start, let me quickly explain my travel plan. My dad/sister would drop me off in the Tambaram railway station at around 9 AM, following which I would board the local train till Kodambakkam, for which I’d obtained a monthly pass. From there, I’d board the minibus S37, which would drop me off at the bus stand opposite Sun Plaza, around 10:30 AM.  The reverse would happen in the evening.

Today being my third day of work, would open my eyes to some nasty surprises.

The day started off okay- I woke up at 7:45, switched on the geyser, brushed my teeth, and went downstairs, inhaling my most favourite aroma in the entire universe- filter coffee.  Smiling even through my half asleep state, I finished the one and a half cups of heaven, and dragged myself upstairs. I actually woke up in the hot shower, and dressed up to the rhythm of select hindi and tamil item songs. My mom had made paruppu saadham with a generous dollop of ghee for breakfast, which smelt utterly gorgeous. I gulped it down within 10 minutes, and I was ready at 8:50. Dad dropped me off at the station, and insisted on accompanying me inside till I boarded the train. I told him to not be overprotective, offending him in the process. I then felt terrible, and apologized to him. In the end, he had his way, and I clucked my tongue as I got into the already full ladies’ compartment, watching him scan the train to make sure I get a seat.  

I quickly changed into train mode: the quintessential dupatta wrapped around my hair, leaving my face exposed, one ear plugged in with music, and the other free to listen to fellow passengers. The train started, and I felt the usual mixture of mild euphoria, freedom, a little excitement and anticipation. I steadied myself next to a steel pole, and felt the wind on my face. I saw this one particular man in the adjacent compartment staring at me. I decided to overlook it, being in a good mood. In all, I was totally unprepared for what was going to happen next, at the Sanatorium stopping. As soon as the train halted, some 15 women rushed into the compartment, taking up all the space in the standing area. I was pushed into a corner of the wall. Slightly bitter that I’d lost some space, I adjusted my bag, and looked around the compartment. Half of the women were young office goers, faces covered with shawls that ranged from bubble gum pink to chocolate brown. I particularly appreciated the effort of the lady near me, who had painstakingly drawn out almost perfect eyeliner wings, and matched her shawl to her kurti. Also, the man was still staring. I was just about to turn around and look at what was behind me, when we reached the next stop, and I almost fell down. A hoard of women jolted into the train, like an angry stampede, crushing everything in the way. I was crushed between a fat aunty and the eyeliner girl, and someone’s handbag was digging into my hip. I tried my best to re align myself, and get a grip somewhere, but my attempts were in vain. I couldn’t move, and I didn’t want to risk a 180 degree turn, in the fear of being cursed by the fat aunty. From somewhere, a hand shot out dangerously close to my chest, and I arched my back in reflex, which caused my bag to push against someone else’s face. I was beginning to mildly panic, and my brain reminded me of something I’d never thought it would- a chemistry lesson on “packing of atoms in a molecule”. It basically taught us how atoms arranged themselves in the most convenient way, to reduce cramming and protect themselves. Through all this, I found the man still staring at me. I frantically tried to spin around to find the most convenient angle, and following three boob-grazes, two knee jerks, and my dupatta getting caught in another zipper, I finally found an angle. I was just about to breathe, and then wham- I was just completely pushed against the wall, and I hit my head quite hard. Annoyed, I turned to give whoever pushed me a piece of my mind, but what I saw scarred me. Five more women tried to get into the already full compartment, and I was completely pinned up against the wall. I was unable to move any part of my body, and someone was breathing down my neck. Amidst all this, my kurti rode up, exposing a small part of my hip, which was very uncomfortably poking against someone’s umbrella. And, my leg started itching. And the smell- every kind of shampoo, deodorant and talcum powder, with sweat. I tried to not gag, and pressed my nose against my freshly washed dupatta.

I was trying to keep it together, but the itch was really annoying. I was praying that some kind soul would pull my kurti down, but everyone was too busy surviving. Then we reached guindy.

I’d like to express my gratitude for being alive at this point.

 The sight of half of the crowd trying to get down,  and the rest trying to not die, random screams and curses, and the plight of a few other people trying to get on to the train, watching all those bodies  being squished, crushed and in pain, is something I wouldn’t wish upon my greatest enemy. By this point, I stopped resisting, and just gave in. I closed my eyes and focussed on reducing my claustrophobia, as I felt random people push me from every direction, squeezing me like some ketchup bottle. “It will be over it will be over it will be over” I chanted. And then fate decided to show me some mercy. Finally, a significant number of people had gotten off the train. I gasped at the one centimetre thick perimeter of free space around me. I have never appreciated air so much. I looked up at eyeliner girl, who was almost in tears. We gave each other a silent nod, and I offered her a one rupee eclairs chocolate as a sign of goodwill. And I stared back at the man, channelling all my anger into my gaze, wishing he’d burn and die. But that lewd piece of shit started giving a creepy grin.

I finally steadied myself, and inched toward the door, for the next stopping was mine. I felt wind on my face, and somewhere deep inside, I felt happiness in ways I’d never felt before. In a few minutes, the train halted, and I tumbled out. I looked at the man, and showed him both my middle fingers, and the dirtiest look I could give. Eyeliner girl laughed and waved at me. In that exact moment, I understood how soldiers would have felt when they survived the day’s battle. I felt like a wildebeest that had just escaped a pack of wolves. Along with my dupatta, bag, and newfound respect for life, I collapsed on to a bench. I untied my dupatta and stuffed it into my bag. I tied up all my hair into a bun, plugged in my earphones, took a sip of water, and continued my journey out of Kodambakkam station.

There was an s37 already waiting, but to my dismay, it was already full. I decided that I was not ready for that again, and decided to wait, and put on sunglasses. Another man came and stood next to me, scanning me. I swear, if it wasn’t for the bus arriving, I would have punched his face. I got a seat on the bus, in a not so good mood, and got a ticket to sun plaza. But, fate loves me, so the bus conductor told me that they only pick up from that stopping, and won’t drop us there. He dropped me off somewhere next to Pothys, and told me to take a right and walk. So I did, and I walked. And I walked, and walked, and I walked some more. By this time I’d changed to walk mode: face fully covered, sunglasses and earphones on. After what felt like an eternity and no sign of GN road, I decided to give up and take an auto. The driver was kind enough to show me directions- one more kilometre straight ahead. We also had a mildly pointless conversation about the weather because that’s how we roll.

I finally reached Sun plaza, and I swear I almost cried when I entered the ground floor. It is an old building with granite floors and marble walls. The temperature instantly dropped, and my mood proportionally went up. I was even humming something as I waited for the lift. I quickly did my hair in the lift, and walked into my office almost feeling brand new. I went inside and stood in front of the AC, which completely restored my sanity, and put a big smile on my face. The train journey seemed like an old memory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musings

10 minutes

Sparkle