10 minutes

So I finally decided to pen it down. Whoever is reading this, greetings and thanks for reading this.  I'd recommend you read it with a cup of coffee (or tea, if you are actually choose it over coffee), but then I associate everything with food so.

"All of us are different but we are all exactly the same", I read somewhere. It got me thinking (just like everything else does), but that particular session of overthinking lasted longer than I expected it to. So much that it moved on from being my mind's go to place during class, to actually freeing time to think about it. When it bordered on becoming an obsession, I knew I had to let it out. So here goes : I see so much variety in everyone around me. It never ceases to amaze me. I see a girl in the mornings who actually talks to plants as she waters them, the next girl I see is completely oblivious to the planet around her, immersed in her headphones. Then, there's the newspaper geek, solving the crossword, and then there's the hopeless nerd trying to mug up notes in another corner

All this within five minutes, as I walk downstairs to get coffee. Later when I step out to class, the sheer amount of diversity there hits me hard. The reason for this tremendous diversity in physical appearances is of course, the less than 1% variance amongst all our DNAs, but what about who we are? When it is very obvious that no two people are the same, what could have possibly lead to similarities in people? What makes people want to interact with similar people? Are they attracted to similarities or opposites? What is being similar?  Does this arise due to similar interests? Is that what leads to association between individuals?  My cranium was boiling over with all this as I was sitting in class, desperately failing in my attempts to understand the second law of Thermodynamics. Since I have a particularly funny professor (who looks like Asterix from Asterix and Obelix, a weird cartoon show that I used to watch), my friend and I cracked the same joke at precisely the same time, which inevitably lead to a hi-fi and her "wavelength bro" comment, it suddenly hit me when I saw her eyes sparkle for a second. She was happy that for a second, her thoughts aligned with mine, our interests matched at that point, we connected. Hallelujah. That's what we look for, a connection fuelled by interests.

So I'm thinking this connection is what lead to the first human early men to interact with each other. A random hairy leafy dude probably scratched his leg on a tree bark and another dude saw that and finally found a solution to his itch too. They probably spoke (or did whatever they did) and decided to roam together. This lead to the big hierarchy that we see today:
1. Random hairy leafy dudes and ladies
2. Groups of random hairy leafy dudes and ladies and kids
3. Fights between the group members leading to group division and subgroups
4. So and so till whenever these groups turned into more organised 'religions'
5. Then religions/castes/other groups- till today.
Let that sink in. Take a second to know that we are all born in a 'family' and we belong to a 'religion' in a 'city/town' and that all of these are absolutely meaningless. How similar are you to your family? How similar are you to others in your religion? Probably way less than you are to your chosen friends. If the root cause of all these millions of groups of people around the universe is similarity, and it is quite the opposite now (coming from a person who thinks she is adopted, and with zero religious beliefs), what is the whole point here?
Am I the only one who feels like she's trapped in a mirage of meaningless stupidity all the time, or would that make me a cynic?  Or is the purpose of me publishing this is in hopes of finding a connection with another soul, who thinks I'm not being completely senile with my ideas here?

Too many questions? Welcome to 10 minutes in my head.

Thanks for reading. Comments appreciated!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    I would say it’s quite an interesting thought process. I come from quite an orthodox household but couple of years before I became an atheist. Everyone does get an underlying characteristics from their parent’s DNA. But I believe what makes us who we is obviously what we experience, think or do. And two people might take in a same situation in completely different ways. Most basic human relationships might be made on similarities we find with another person. But I believe the deeper connections are made between opposites. Humans are, on a very basic level the most curious creatures. This is what made us as monkeys to come down from trees, experimenting with things around us. A psychology research says you can’t bring more than 150 people together if you don’t have a common cause. I think that’s where religion started. To make completely different people work together for common cause like maybe developing tribes, cities and make people more cooperative with each other. I think a small way to prove is that there no same religion that started at 2 different places. Yes as human beings we look for connections because we are social animals. Now again how social can vary from person to person. My mom is someone I would call as an extrovert while I’m complete introvert. It’s hard to hold conversation even with people who are similar to me.
    Basically there’s no two people on earth who can be similar to each other. There could be some similarities, but if you really do look deeply there’ll definitely be similarities between people who might belong to two different groups who views completely opposite.
    The problem is the most people are not honest with themselves about who they are. They flow what most people tells them or follow people they might want to get close to.
    One person recently told that most people go throughout their entire lives without even realising who they actually are but by pretending to be someone else. I actually found it true with me.
    Learn more about yourself, do things you want do despite what others tell and try new things to know what you like and don’t. It is hard but it’s definitely worth it.

    I know I have been all over the place in what I wrote. I was thinking and writing as I went. Apologies for that. I don’t know about connections but I definitely am interested to have conversation like these.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Musings

Sparkle